Wednesday 29 August 2012

[cobirds] Re: Not empid, then Greater versus Western Pewee

I have a lot of photographs of Western Wood-Pewee since they are common to the Canon City area and I photographed one this morning within 50 feet of where I photographed the other bird.  I have added that photo to a post on my blog with one of the other bird's photos.  It has a black tip on the lower mandible.  I think the bill looks proportionally smaller.

BTW-the Greater Phoebe I photographed in McAllen,Tx was on their Rare Bird Alert and identity had been confirmed by several highly skilled birders from that area. 

Didn't say it,but the bird I photographed yesterday did not make a sound, naturally.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @ http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/author/seetta-moss/
Personal blog @
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com


On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM, SeEtta Moss <seettam@gmail.com> wrote:
I didn't think my bird was a Western Pewee not only because of the size of the bill but because Western Pewee's don't have all organish/yellowish lower mandibles per Birds of North America online (also not in my experience): "Upper mandible is black; lower mandible is mostly black, or black-tipped, pale toward base. Gape yellow" 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment