Tuesday 28 August 2012

[cobirds] Why post on Hummingbirds? Late viewing

Hi all,
 
This was one of the best hummingbird years for my yard. Unfortunately, the time for hummingbird viewing in my yard, around, 7/15-Sept 15th, this summer was *booked with me showing my yard to non- profit groups, native plant society, and horticulture groups, and to audubon master birders, etc. I thought it would be too confusing to post alot of dates when the public could visit my yard and when they could not visit. I'm sorry I could not have my yard open to the public because of the confusion.
 
There were 3 days in a row, when I had to fill my 3 separate hummer feeders, each day. This has never happened in my yard. I usually fill feeders every 3 days. I presume the quanity of hummingbirds was due to the birds seeking out nectar sources away from the mountains. Since some of these hummingbirds had migrated from as far north as Montana and perhaps other northern places and through the burnt Rocky Mountains, and through very drought areas, this was the summer for hummers. We may not have another year like this for a while, or we may have, if climatic conditions remain the same. For individuals who love to observe hummingbirds on the plains, on the edge of the foothills, this dry summer was good. BUT it was not good for ranchers, farmers, nor was it good in providing alot of insects for some birds[ although hatching of some insects was early this summer]. I had sphinx moths in my garden 5/21st, the earliest I've seen them. They usually start flying around my flowers the end of June or the first of July.
 
**I know one might think it is bizarre to post this, since the hummingbird migration is winding down, but my yard is NOW  OPEN if anyone wants to see primarily immature hummingbirds. As of today I have 4 species of hummers, Broad-tailed, Black-chinned,Calliope, and Rufous. As of today there are only around 7-8 birds total. As it gets into late September, my numbers drop to around 3 hummers per day. You can always try to brush up on your ID skills trying to ID immature hummingbirds. The flowers in the yard are still very good, and this is one area where one can see the birds feeding.
 
Like in years past, PLEASE leave me a phone message as to when you might want to visit. Leave your NAME with your message on my phone =*303-906-5479. Park on Bow Mar Dr., on the west side of the road half under the cottonwood trees and half on the road, opposite my house, which is 4400 Bow Mar Dr.,Littleton, Co. 80123. Walk up the black asphalt driveway. There is one chair in the front yard and there is one hummingbird feeder in the front yard hanging on the front patio ledge. There are 2 chairs in the back yard,[just next to, and to the east of the flaggstone patio]. There is one hummer feeder next to the bird bath, and 2 hanging on the old clothes line. Please do NOT walk around the yard. You will see more birds if you sit quietly in the chairs. Best time is early morning or evening. I appreciate your consideration. If you think you have an unusual hummer call me.
 
From 7/19-8/31, I had a total of 8 different ad. m. Calliopes. The key period for quantity of hummingbirds was 7/21-8/23 at my house. This year I had more Black-chinned hummers than ever[about 3-4 a day from 7/24-8/23]. I had more Rufous hummingbirds this summer than the last 4 summers. This year I had 3 separate f. Broad-tailed, and 1,f. Black-chinned, nest very close to my house, but not in my yd.
 
Sorry again that the yard was not open during the height of hummingbird migration.
 
Best,
Tina Jones
4400 Bow Mar Dr.
Littleton, CO., Jefferson County
80123

No comments:

Post a Comment