Sunday 13 October 2024

[cobirds] Cranes, Owls, Hummingbird - Arapahoe

Haven't birded much, but have enjoyed...
  • Migrating flocks of Sandhill Cranes (10/7 p.m., 10/8 a.m., and 10/13 a.m.) over my yard in Centennial. There seemed to be two flyovers on 10/7, an early evening one recorded by a number of eBirders in the area, then one that I heard after sundown (7 pm-ish) but did not see.
  • An Eastern Screech-Owl, who emerged before sundown along the High Line Canal Trail in Centennial. My wife and I were bicycling on the trail when a softball size cluster of feathers emerged from a thicket along the trail. I u-turned and found a Screech-Owl perched in the open. It was still fairly early, so I had a good look at the owl in the late light.
  • An apparent male, adultish Broad-tailed Hummingbird? I'm hearing him, and I briefly saw him (without bincoulars). It's odd to hear a male Broad-tailed this time of year, no? Don't they usually clear out well before female and juvenile Broad-tails? Is it possibly a not-yet-fully molted juvenile male? I heard him trill as recently as today. The one time I saw him land in my yard, he seemed to have an incomplete or messy gorget.
  • A Bobcat! Along the Canal in Cherry Hills Village yesterday. Always neat.
Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/e44c5d7d-b250-4f03-8abb-f000d9f2d1b3n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment