Saturday 21 September 2013

[cobirds] Pueblo birding 9/21 (Laughing Gull again)

Hi all,

I counted birds for the Pueblo County Fall Bird Count today, I ended up with 99 species of birds.  I only birded Pueblo West, Pueblo Reservoir, Valco Ponds/Rock Canyon, Pueblo Nature Center, and Swallows.

My best bird of the day, was nearly the first bird I saw today, just before sunrise, at Sailboard launching area at Pueblo Reservoir, the basic plumage adult LAUGHING GULL, which has been around for several weeks now, though isn't seen all that often.  

My other highlights for the day were:  Common Goldeneye (female), Black, Forster's, and Common Terns, White-winged Dove, Red-headed and Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, Hammond's Flycatcher, Eastern and Black Phoebes, Eastern Kingbird, Pinyon and Western Scrub-Jays, Cassin's Vireo, Juniper Titmouse (along the river, out of the usual habitat), and only six species of warblers -- Townsend's being the best one).  I haven't counted up my total for Wilson's Warblers, though I think it is around 75.

I've seen some of the results from others, and one good find for Pueblo, was a GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER seen by Chris Knight along the Arkansas River, west of Pueblo Blvd. on the north side of the river.  There may well be some more interesting birds, nearly the entire Arkansas River from Pueblo Reservoir dam east to Runyon Lake, was birded today.

A big thanks to everyone who helped out with today's count, I think there was a good number of species found and a lot of Vesper Sparrows (thanks to Mark Peterson's four digit total).
 

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment