Tuesday 7 August 2012

[cobirds] Gunnison (and Grand Junction) area birds

Hello birders,

My parents, visiting from Oregon, and I just returned from a four-day trip to the Gunnison area. Here are some birds that I found interesting:

- Virginia's Warbler: at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park Campground (life bird for me!), also I think another  today at Corn Lake near Grand Junction area. (Is that normal for this area? It's a cottonwood ecosystem along a lake and a river)

- Evening Grosbeaks also at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP campground. I am unsure if this is normal for there or not this time of year; I was entering data on eBird the other night when it malfunctioned on me and I have yet to re-check it.

- There were LOADS of both flavors of Towhees (Green-tailed and Spotted) all over Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, especially at the campground. I saw a fair amount of young birds, too.

- MacGillivray's Warbler at Neversink Trail, near Blue Mesa Reservoir near the town of Gunnison.

Also, on a non-bird note (I hope this is allowed, as an addendum to the bird sightings!), I got two new "life mammals" this trip: a Long-tailed Weasel at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, and Gunnison Prairie Dogs in (surprise) Gunnison! I now have all three Prairie Dog species that occur in Colorado. :)

Good birding and mammaling (?),

Holly Reinhard
Hayden, Routt County, Colorado

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment