Wednesday 29 August 2018

Re: [cobirds] White Ibis yes

All,

I saw the adult White Ibis at 4 p.m. today, but it took a little work.
Shut out at Bent County Road JJ at Gageby Creek, I tried an option. I
drove a little bit west to Van's Grove. I took a two-track road exactly
south of the entrance to Van's Grove. I cautiously drove 1/4 mile south,
and reached a clearing. Just before the two-track hit a sandy spot, I
parked. I was a couple of hundred yards closer to the mud flat where
herons, egrets and pelicans roost. Since this location is so far west,
silt from the Arkansas River accumulates at high water levels, and
walking very far is impossible. But. . ., a lot more of the mud flat is
visible than at Road JJ. In a few minutes, the White Ibis flew in, and I
was able to see it well and photograph it poorly.

A word of caution. Trying to drive too far may result in a costly towing
bill. Proceed with prudence.

This was my second adult White Ibis in Bent County. The first was in the
1990s, at the exact same spot. That bird was north of Road JJ at the
Gageby Marsh, close enough that binoculars weren't necessary.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, CO



On 8/29/2018 12:17 PM, Gary Faust - Lisa Edwards wrote:
> All,
>
> The Whit Ibis was redound this morning by Jane, Janel, and Norma. It is at Vans Marsh.
>
> Lisa Edwards
> Palmer Lake, CO
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5ec0a1ef-c864-e09b-af12-daa26bb4296d%40centurytel.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment