Monday 27 August 2018

[cobirds] N Waterthrush, Wilsonfest, CSR, El Paso Co, Mon.

Hey COBirders,

I didn't think I would get to do any banding today with the hight winds forecast, but it was almost calm at dawn at Clear Spring Ranch. Immediately I was catching warblers, and did so until I finally was getting blown-out about 930. I banded two Northern Waterthrush (#12,13 for the month, a juv, and an adult), 2 MacGillivray's Warblers (juv F, Ad M), and 38 Wilsons Warblers (3 AD M, 3 AD F, 12 juv M, and 20 juv F). 56 birds total today.

I know Meredith had similar numbers at Barr the other day - but this exceptional for me at CSR - my previous high was 18 a couple of Septembers ago. I work in the Fountain Creek corridor, and there is nothing special or unique about my habitat. When you consider that 38 Wilson's were caught, and maybe more if I could have kept nets open, you have to wonder how many were in the same habitat stretching 20 miles N and 20 miles S of me?!?! And I wonder what would have been seen at the Chico Basin migrant trap today - anybody have any insights?  Obviously there was a major push ahead of the winds coming out of Wyoming, and it was way too fun!

Happy Migration,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

No comments:

Post a Comment