Monday 31 August 2015

[cobirds] Least Tern --- El Paso county, Big Johnson reservoir

COBirders,

We had a storm pass through this afternoon and into the early evening.  I had to go out to do some other stuff so decided to see if the storm had put anything down at Big Johnson Reservoir.  I was thinking maybe a Sabine's Gull at best.  The first time I stopped by it was raining and windy and I could not find much more than a single FORSTER'S TERN.  So I continued on with some other things and when the weather finally calmed and I was coming back by I looked one more time.  This time, right about 6:00 PM the Forster's Tern was still there but now I could also see a LEAST TERN way down at the west end near the inlet.  It was busy feeding most of the time except at one point it seem to disappear for a bit but then showed back up.  I suspect it just landed somewhere that I could not see it.  Bob Goycoolea just happened to stop by right at the right time and he was able to see the bird.  Unfortunately, a few others showed up a little later and we basically looked until sometime after 7:00 PM and could not refind the bird.  I have a bad feeling the bird has left but maybe it had just sat down somewhere or was even feeding and we just were missing it.
 
-----
Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment