Monday 17 August 2015

[cobirds] Park (and some Jefferson Co), 14 August

Late report, but better late than never.  I birded around Park County on 14 August, the day after David Suddjian.  I also went up CR56 (Lost Park Rd) into Pike NF.  In the prairies, as David noted, there were a lot of Savannah Sparrows and a random Eurasian Collared-Dove.  I had a Western Kingbird at the entrance gate/fence to the NF about a mile from Hwy 285.  Lots of Chipping Sparrows and Gray-headed Junco's all over the place and scattered Clark's Nutcrackers (which are a bird that doesn't get old).  About 6.7 miles from 285 in an area of open pines and a great scenic view, I heard the distinct call of Pinyon Jays.  I wasn't expecting them around here, but eventually saw one flying away.  They are quite uncommon in the north part of the county and that was a really lucky lifer!  At the same spot I had a small group of warblers and sparrows fly over.  I got a pretty decent look at one of the birds and I'm quite certain it was a Townsend's Warbler, but not 100%.  A pair of Three-toed Woodpeckers showed nicely along the creek by a road side camp site and there were good numbers of Violet-green Swallows up and down the valley (as per high count flags in eBird).  Further up the road I finally found a long overdue, terrible nemesis lifer Gray Jay thanks to intel from David on where he saw them the day before! I heard two and got nice, but distant, looks at one, but they didn't linger.  It was quite nice, and unexpected, to get two lifer jays on the same road!


An Olive-sided Flycatcher was perched high on CR39 as I was cutting south towards CR77 from Lost Park Rd.  I traveled south on CR77 towards the community of Tarryall and found a nice group of Brewer's Blackbirds and a male Lazuli Bunting. 


I went up CR211 through Pike NF and the Hayman fire.  I didn't really have much time to stop continually, but stopped when I saw birds, which was often enough.  One of the greener areas (still in Park Co) had 3 Williamson's Sapsuckers.  Back into Jefferson Co now, I stopped at a green draw and a female Broad-tailed Hummer came zipping out of the woods and hovered outside my open window for 15 sec or so, while we assessed each other.  Another random flock on a ridge top had at least 3 Western Tanagers, a Lark Sparrow, among other more common species and a couple miles up the road I had a pair of Peregrine Falcons flying around, one with a snack in its talons.  Eventually I got to Stony Pass Rd and quickly refound one Lewis's Woodpecker and 3 Red-headed Woodpeckers.  Thanks to the folks that eBirded from here recently! 


I had an adult female/imm Northern Harrier circling Hwy 126 south of Buffalo Creek, more specifically at Spring Creek Trail and just south of the large burn here.  I guess it was passing through as that bird caught me off guard and it was about to storm! 


Not a bad day of birding considering a late start and early end!


Good birding,
Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAJmtx%2BUo%3Dmp1O1P3Cxo0w-Tzja7ps%3DFAP3GkzpbrkMqG4KHpcw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment