Tuesday 14 July 2015

[cobirds] Burrowing Owls, Drennan Rd, El Paso County

Of interest to El Paso Co birders, maybe...
 
Last time I birded Drennan Rd, I reported one adult Burrowing Owl; today I saw two birds, one adult and one immature.
 
From when you get onto Drennan from Curtis Rd, it is about 2.5 miles (not clocked exactly) but from where there is a right
angle bend in the road and a road sign that states Curtis, Drennan, and it starts going due east, I clocked 1.6 mile east;
the 2 birds are  in the field south of the road.
If you can see the 2 prairie dogs, the owls are just  a short distance west of there, at a hole. There could be more than
2 p. dogs of course, but I only saw 2 today near a burrow hole.
Looks like the owls are nesting there this year.
 
4-5 Grasshopper Sparrows were observed perches on fence wire; great photo op.
 
M. Cecile Lee (Cici)
Elbert, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment