Saturday 25 July 2015

[cobirds] Little Blue Heron

I checked early this morning for the Little Blue Heron, no luck.

After birding with Gary Lefko, I hit the gravel pits on my way back home.

As I pulled up on the SW corner of the pond at CR 24 1/2 and 9 3/4 (around 13:30), I saw 4 "small", all white birds fly from the SE corner. As I got my binoculars on them, I immediately recognized a juvenile Little Blue Heron, with 3 Snowy Egrets "chasing" it. The heron had dusky wing tips that were difficult to see as it flew, as well as yellow legs. The 3 egrets had all white wings, black legs and yellow feet. They all flew generally east, presumably to the pond behind the subdivision. After scoping the rest of the pond and the one across the road, and talking to a birder whose name I cannot recall, I drove around to the subdivision and tried to look at the pond. There was no direct access anywhere, and not wanting to draw the ire of the locals for parking and going to their playground, I gave up trying to search for the heron and egrets.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/394cb452-5000-438d-a698-f12212d82dce%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment