Thursday 16 July 2015

[cobirds] EVIL BIRDERS

Greetings All

I'll fess up

I am the evil birder who spent an entire day looking for birds and bugs in Kiowa County, visiting every wet spot that I could. Indeed, Piping Plovers were far from my mind, as I had misread Duane's rambling email: I thought there were no Pipings breeding in the state this year.

Indeed, after reading Duane's blistering post, I find myself thinking, since the active breeding by Pipings at Sweetwater was known of, then why was the area not closed off, just as portions of John Martin have been. INDEED: WHY WAS THIS NOT DONE BEFORE I - AN EVIL BIRDER - "DANGEROUSLY DISTURBED" THE AREA??? Where was Superman before my dastardly presence darkened the skies there? It certainly is possible to deny access to that portion of NeeSoPah, as recent actions demonstrate. 

How can I be blamed for merely exploring the landscape for birds, bugs, and lizards, as is my habit. I wasn't seeking Duane's secret stash of unprotected plovers, I was documenting the fauna of an under-explored part of the state at an interesting time of year. Bad, bad Steve. I should stick to Chatfield and Union, I presume. 

When I put the sightings on eBird (as I did as I was birding the location), I had assumed that the plovers were migrants or had dispersed from elsewhere. I did not see chicks (of any species except Killdeer). I did not see enclosures. The birds (Piping Plovers, Snowy Plovers, even avocets) were calm as I approached, with nary a distraction display or agitated call. There seemed to be no active nesting by any shorebird. I even emailed Duane to tell him that I'd found a group of Pipings (no response for a couple days... so much for urgency in keeping the sighting off eBird)

So, Duane can paint an "S" on his chest and label me Darth Vader, The Joker, or even CatWoman. I hope it makes him feel like a real man. And now I know full well that if I mess with him, the Sheriff will come by to fine/arrest me.

As I as certain the moderator wishes, I will henceforth keep my mouth utterly shut on this topic

Steve Mlodinow
Longmont CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/14e9a5ac0bb-7f91-15c82%40webprd-a67.mail.aol.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment