Tuesday 21 July 2015

[cobirds] Gray Flycatcher carrying food in Red Canyon Park north of Canon City tonight

I drove up to Red Canyon Park about 20 min north of Canon City this evening.  I spotted several Gray Flycatchers but they were quite shy, likely still with nestlings or fledglings they are taking care of.  I found one carrying food, looked to be a dragonfly.  It perched high on top of a juniper and though I walked more than 50 feet away it stayed put, apparently not going to feed it's young with me in the area so I left and did not see if it has fledglings or babies in the nest.  It could be either as they may be having a second nesting since there are a lot of insects to feed young due to very rainy year. 

Of note were several Lazuli Buntings singing near the entrance to the park as well as at least one Blue Grosbeak.  More Lazuli Buntings were singing near Four Mile Creek just a short distance from the park.  Also I spotted a likely pair of Evening Grosbeak (adult birds perched next to each other during breeding season) in the park.

I have uploaded pics of the Gray Flycatcher, a singing Lazuli Bunting and an Evening Grosbeak onto my Birds and Nature blog.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckq-X9_URP%2BWo0mN0dRo5Jt6Sx7%3DZm%2B70ovvrn7e2m0gnw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment