Sunday 26 July 2015

[cobirds] Gray-headed junco 6,000 ft. Larimer County 7/26

Seems a bit early for our local (red superman cape) breeding juncos to come down out

Of the mountains.    1 seen briefly at the water feature.   I’ve had them winter until May

30th before, but I think this is my first July sighting.

 

Had a western tanager and female black-headed grosbeak sitting side by side waiting

A turn at the suet (house finch was camped out on it).   Nice picture that I didn’t get!

 

Seems a poor year for calliope hummers; maybe a plethora of wildflowers means they

Aren’t at the (my) feeders?   I’ve only seen 1 or two.

 

Red crossbills have been daily here for 3 months; pinyon jays not seen much, so NOT

Very reliable currently.   Hairy woodpecker family is a real hoot; the youngsters will

Do almost anything (land on a vertical ½ in metal pole and stay there for 3 minutes looking

Around, etc.   Don’t know what they will do for fun when I take the hummingbird feeders

Down, as they pop off 3-5 yellow flowers daily.

 

d

 

Davis - at 6,000 ft. NW of Lyons – Larimer County

No comments:

Post a Comment