Saturday 25 July 2015

[cobirds] The Increasingly Rare Band-tailed Pigeon

Yesterday I took a long day hike into Upper Sand Lake in the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness for some birding, photography, birding and fishing. Near Music Pass, I saw a bird that I have not seen in many years....Three Band-tailed Pigeons (Custer County). Wow, I got to thinking about when it was common event to see 8 to 12 flying by on a summer evening here in Monte Vista. They would often perch on our nearby wires too. Hasn't happened in many years.
 
I know this species is in decline, but what are the factors? Isn't it odd that Eurasian collared Doves have exploded while a relative like the Band-tailed has declined....more to ponder as summer is rapidly diminishing...
By the way, the fishing was better than the birding, altho Northern Three-toed Woodpeckers and Pine Grosbeaks were nice to see.
 
John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment