Monday 17 November 2014

[cobirds] Unusual dark harrier at Douglas Res (Larimer)

I photographed a harrier today along the road that goes around the southwestern corner of Douglas Reservoir today.  I photographed it just because it allowed me to, a unusual thing in my experience with perched harriers.  Upon examination of the photos, it appears to be a melanistic or dark-morph female or immature male bird.  Apparently, this is quite rare in Northern Harrier, with only a handful of North American records.  I showed the pic to Steve Mlodinow and he concurs.

If anyone goes to Douglas tomorrow to try for the rare waterfowl seen up there of late, you might watch for this dark harrier.  When it flew, it was working the rabbitbrush between the westside road and the mansions to the west.

Does anyone have an email for Brian Wheeler?  I would like to send the pic to him.  Ditto Jerry Liguori.  Thanks.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment