Sunday 23 November 2014

[cobirds] Tundra Swans,Aurora reservoir,Douglas Cty.

Hi all,
I went to Aurora Rampart Reservoir late today[3:30pm], to get another Scoter fix. Yes, the 3, Black scoters were present. These Scoters were eating Crayfish also, but not as fast as the Scoters in Prospect Park were eating them. I did not see the Pacific Loon until it appeared around 4pm. Then, as I was scanning the lake, way on the southern side I saw what looked like Swans, which were swimming over towards me,[thank goodness, since they were too far way for me to call] . Finally they were in the middle of the lake, so I could get a good ID.
 
They were 4 adult  Tundra Swans. The crown  came to a rounded border when it touched the upper bill. The eye of the bird almost looked separate from the bill of the bird.  Trumpeter Swan usually has an eye which looks like it is part of the bill. There was a lot of head bobbing going on by each individual, which made me think they were restless or agitated, but I'm not a Swan, to totally agree with this description.
 
It was very pretty out with light snow coming down. 
 
Happy Birding,
Tina Jones
Littleton, Jefferson County, CO
 

No comments:

Post a Comment