Tuesday 24 December 2013

[cobirds] Reynolds Park - Jefferson County

It was a fairly quiet morning at Reynolds.  I have to work tonight, so I didn't stay long, since I have to get a nap in at some point.  I had a few flocks of nuthatches (white-breasted and pygmy), a few Downy Woodpeckers, one calling Northern Pygmy-Owl and quite a few tooting Townsend's Solitaires.  My favorite bird of the day was a Canyon Wren I found along Ravens Roost Trail.  This little guy seemed to enjoy my company.  I spent 15 minutes having a conversation with him while he danced around me.  He was chattering away and I was pishing/imitating the chatter.  A very playful bird.  I almost felt bad about leaving him.  For the record, I have no idea the gender of the bird, despite my pronoun usage.  If anyone can tell me how to tell a male from a female in the field, that would be great.  

On the way home, I swung by Green Valley Ranch Town Center Park behind the King Soopers (Tower and GVR Blvd).  I had planned on searching through all the lounging geese, but I was distracted by two beautiful foxes.  Stunning.  They didn't enjoy being the prey as much as the hunters, so they ended up going to the middle of the pond and waiting for me to leave.  Literally, the moment I got in my car, they resumed activity.  I did get a nice Snow Goose as it flew in with group of Canada/Cackling Geese.

John Breitsch
Denver, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/2cb98310-9e0f-4ad0-b0e5-88c350a683b0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment