Friday 20 December 2013

[cobirds] Am Dipper finally in Canon City area this season; one eyed hawk still surviving

Yesterday I found my first American Dipper in the Canon City area for this season, this one several miles east of town.  Every winter we have from one to a few American Dippers that move downstream along the Arkansas River in Colorado in cold weather to spend the winter in the mild Canon City area.  We had such a terribly warm fall that this bird may not have thought it necessary to leave the higher elevation areas of the river until the recent cold weather.  I have uploaded one photo of it onto my Birds and Nature blog.

Today I saw 2 female and 1 male Williamson's and 1 male Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers around Canon City--got photos but don't have time to process and upload to my blog so will do later.

After not refinding the one eyed Ferruginous Hawk for about 4 days last week, I have seen her again all but one of the days I have looked for her this past week.  With the lack of one eye she has to have learned somehow to compensate for problems with depth perception, which is awful important for a hawk going after prairie dogs.  I will post photos of her later.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckpeKh-8-TynH1H%2BB3bh%2BwGefZb1D_rMcsYFbeBSGatVyw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment