Thursday 26 December 2013

[cobirds] Red Rocks Park--Trading Post, Dec 26, 2013

Hi all,

I have been visiting your great state since the 22nd and, alas, must leave in the morning.  My birding time in Colorado was even briefer and more limited than usual this visit.  I did, however, finagle the use of a vehicle and spent an enjoyable 10 minute visit to Red Rocks today, December 26th.  I was fortunate to have a look at the Golden-crowned Sparrow.  Other than juncos, I only saw one other sparrow, a Song Sparrow.  The juncos were awesome--Colorado birders are so lucky to have such an array of forms of junco!  I saw all the types I could reasonably expect, except for White-winged (and I saw them in Conifer a couple of days earlier, right in my sister's yard!)

Sorry to not see any of my Colorado birder friends this visit.  I hope to do better in this regard next year!

I append my ebird list for anyone interested.

Cheers,

Rob Parsons
temporarily in Arapahoe County near Cherry Creek, but usually
Winnipeg, MB
Canada
parsons8@mymts.net

 Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:29:50 -0500
 From: do-not-reply@ebird.org
 To: parsons8@mts.net
 Subject: eBird Report - Red Rocks Park--Trading Post, Dec 26, 2013

 Red Rocks Park--Trading Post, Jefferson, US-CO
 Dec 26, 2013 1:35 PM - 1:45 PM
 Protocol: Stationary
 8 species (+4 other taxa)

 Western Scrub-Jay 8
 Black-capped Chickadee 3
 Townsend's Solitaire 1
 Song Sparrow 1
 Golden-crowned Sparrow 1 Continuing adult bird, seen by dozens of birders and frequently photographed. Assuming it's the same one, this is the third year I have seen the bird wintering at the trading post feeding station. Fairly large and long-tailed sparrow, typical Zonotrichia shape. Breast and belly clear pale grayish-white. Upperparts fairly rich brown streaked. Broad central yellow crown stripe, flanked by two bold black stripes. I have marked it as sex unknown, but many feel it's a male and I have no argument with that.
 Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 2
 Dark-eyed Junco (Cassiar) 1
 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 1
 Dark-eyed Junco (Pink-sided) 3
 Dark-eyed Junco (Gray-headed) 4
 House Finch 11
 House Sparrow 3

 View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16084881

 This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment