Friday 27 December 2013

[cobirds] East and southeast from Auarora Res. 12/26 - Arapahoe and Elbert

Funny Chris Rurik should mention birding Elbert County, as I found myself there yesterday. I had decided to explore the open country east and southeast of Aurora Reservoir, and just drove and picked roads and made a series of 5 min stops at varying intervals. Most of them were in Elbert County, although I did not even know there *was* an Elbert County before yesterday. (I'm still pretty new here in Colorado). Now I know. And simply based on eBird data for Elbert it looks like it is not too often birded (or at least eBirded).

I think one of the better finds was a SHORT-EARED OWL in Arapahoe flying east of the rest stop that is along I-70 a short way north of Arapahoe's southern border. A MERLIN was in Agate, Elbert Co.

I encountered TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES at several spots in the wide open where there were plantings of junipers near houses, and several in some natural juniper / ponderosa pine habitat in Elbert. I had one LAPLAND LONGSPUR in Arapahoe (Kiowa-Bennett Road), and two in Elbert Co (CR 53 and CR 162), and two NORTHERN SHRIKES in Elbert Co. Other than those mentioned above, raptors included 7 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS, 1 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, 1 HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK, and 1 GOLDEN EAGLE. 

David Suddjian
Littleton

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RoqdpjzBXgqo3LbDjjHBn5%2B6vGNN5KVKpsZ-gMcrecKfjw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment