Tuesday 20 August 2013

[cobirds] RFI: Birding in the Pueblo Area

Hello all

I will be visiting Pueblo this coming weekend. I plan on trying to squeeze in some birding when I can (but I have limited time). I am looking for information on great birding sites for the regional specialties like Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Scaled Quail, Canyon Towhee, Curve-billed Thrasher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, and Chihuahuan Raven. I'm aware I won't get all these birds. Below are the sites I have found using a few sources. Does anyone have any other recommendations or comments about these spots?

Cattail Crossing Park
This and the adjacent golf course seem to be good spots for Scaled Quail and Curve-billed Thrasher, at least according to the CFO County Birding website and eBird.

Valco Ponds area
It appears this is one of the best birding spots in the Pueblo area as it is mentioned all sorts of places. I am wondering what the best access point and areas are within this site as, like I mentioned, I will have limited time.

Lake Pueblo
This state park appears to have some good birding in it. On the park website it says that a roadrunner "has decided to take up residency near Juniper Breaks campground." I would guess that this information is old. Within the park, what are the best areas for birding? Is the roadrunner still there?

Thanks for any comments
John Jones
Lakewood, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAMwmzQRqOJrygg18re_V1Q6S%3D5w6ZoMO_tza4E5GzXuFbT5mtg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment