Tuesday 20 August 2013

[cobirds] Understanding plumage and molting patterns (semi-long)

COBirders,

  Assuming that a considerable number of subscribers to this forum are, such as I, not experts on this topic I'm here to offer some help.  For at least the last decade I've continued to struggle with the nomenclature and even with what seem to be basic concepts about molting cycles among many bird species and the effect they have on plumage and behavior.  COBirds is a wonderful tool for learning about such things but the contributions on molt and plumage by the experts among us have been about particular species observed at a particular time rather than an explanation of terminology and concepts related to molting and plumage in general.  I have no quarrel with that--COBirds is not designed to serve as a reference book.

  So, I was delighted while reading Kenn Kaufmann's Field Guide to Advanced Birding I came across the chapter titled "Plumages, Molt and Wear: Understanding What You See" (Chapter 4, pp. 74-91).  Now, when "our" COBirds experts write about a duck species being in basic plumage and a songbird species being in alternate plumage, both in June, I understand why, after reading pages 74-80.  The chapter (and book) is also bolstered with helpful illustrations that make clear the concepts presented.

  As was reported in this forum when it came out in 2011, the Field Guide to Advanced Birding is very accessible even to birders who are relatively new to the field.  As only a wannabe advanced birder--after decades of sporadic, undisciplined experience there are still dreadful gaps in my knowledge--I find this guide to be essential in my library.  [Full disclosure:  I would love to be qualified to receive a stipend from the sale of this guide or from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, but alas I am not.]

Leon Bright, Pueblo

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment