Thursday 21 February 2013

[cobirds] Re: Wheat Ridge Repolls Continue

Feb 21st update: I've had a couple of email inquiries so I thought I'd post another update. The Wheat Ridge Redpolls (sounds like a baseball team doesn't it?) continue to show up daily. A little snow keeps them on the feeders through most of the day. I have a m/f pair of Sharp-shinned Hawks making appearances every so often and that's the only time I don't have the birds in my driveway. Fortunately, I also have a small gang of Black-billed Magpies that harass the hawks if they try to spend extended periods near the feeders.
Bob Santangelo
3525 Estes St
Wheat Ridge
 
 

On Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:54:26 PM UTC-7, birderbob wrote:
Hello All,
 
The Redpolls continue to appear at my feeders on a daily basis.  Since the recent warming trend, they are making an appearance in number around 830 - 900a.  After that, their arrivals are more individualistic and sporadic.   The original flock that arrived the weekend of Jan 12/13 had a number of orange-variants and I am seeing fewer of those and more of the red ones.  This would indicate that there are more than the original 7 or 8 we first observed. 
 
I would add that it is fine for birders to exit their vehicles at the curb, I just don't want unfamiliar vehicles pulling up into the driveway - that'll get my spouse's little dogs barking from the front window seat.  It is okay to park in front of the driveway because the vantage point is kind of narrow.  Also, I'll pass along a comment from one of my neighbors - he said there have been a lot of birders stopping by and one birder had set up a nice scope and very politely let him take a look - he was excited to see for the first time, birds in great detail, and greatly admired how beautiful they were.  It is always nice to hear about someone else's "moment of discovery" and whoever this ambassador of the birds was deserves kudos.
 
Bob Santangelo  (3525 Estes St  Wheat Ridge)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/V00cJnvuGFkJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment