Monday 4 September 2017

[cobirds] Of birds, smoke and a running duck, Jefferson County

With the horrible smoky conditions today I had to scrap my major holiday planes of going on a long hike, I am asthmatic so I have to limit my time outdoors.  I decided to head over to the Audubon Society at Chatfiled but found little going on with birds and went over to Harriman Lake. Two exiting finds awaited me.
The first was two clay collard sparrows in migration. I have seen them before, but they proved to me exiting because they became the 200th bird seen in Jefferson County, completing my goal this year of getting 200 birds on that county check list.
After that I went down to the shore to scan the lake and saw a odd duck in the middle of the lake. Looking more closely I could see it was some type of domestic. I got some photos and looked at something else. Turning back the duck was gone. If not for the photos I would assume I was imagining this bird due to a oxygen deprived brain.
Looking up on Google for domestic duck types I found this bird. It's called a Indian Running Duck. And if you want something fun to watch YouTube Videos of them running are out there. I wish I could have seen that. They also stand upright like a penguin and not like a duck. This is not a ABA listable species since it's only a domestic mallard variety, but still, it was relay cool and proves that listable birds are not always the most exiting thing out there. I don't know where the duck came from or where it went, but it was rather cool to seen. And pretty. Here is my checklist with a photo of said duck if you want to see it,

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38996916

Brian Johnson,
Englewood CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/ca2eda9a-2578-47e2-ad06-7168ec78c904%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment