Tuesday 26 September 2017

[cobirds] 10,000+ Blackbirds at Jim Hamm Nature Area (Longmont)

All:

Fist post here, wanted to share an incredible sight I've be watching for two years now at Jim Hamm Nature Area.  Last fall I was out there in the evening and witnessed huge numbers of YHBL, RWBL and EUST gathering in the evening to roost.  Got over there the next morning and witnessed approximately 10,000+ birds depart for the day en masse.  I'm guessing on the counts, but it is easily 10k birds, probably more.  And the sound they make!  Pretty cool to witness.  And like last year, one morning in late September they had all left for warmer climes down south, so I don't know how much longer they will stick around.

Anyways, I was out there again this foggy Tuesday morning and got some video to share as I know I will get flagged on ebird for a high count.  My camera (Panasonic DMC-FZ1000) shoots in 4K  with a .MP4 extension, and they are large file sizes, 1-2Gb.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can post either here on CObirds or to eBird?  It won't recognize the file type and it's too large.  Please message me at jay1125@gmail.com if you have some tips!

I'll be out there tomorrow (Wed, 9/27) at about 6:30 am, the show started today around 6:45 and lasted until about 7:15.

Jay




No comments:

Post a Comment