Wednesday 27 September 2017

[cobirds] Re: Rock Wrens - Arapahoe Co.

I've had the good fortune of watching the Rock Wren on and off this afternoon (9/27), as it's foraged around...not surprisingly...the collection of rocks roughly approximating a rock garden in my backyard. This bird is incredibly tame, fearlessly approaching me as I photographed it. Two or three times it came within an arm's length. I'd hold my breath, hold still, and it would pass by. A few times, it came so close that it wouldn't fit in the camera frame. 



The bird especially likes the rotted log I added to my yard this spring. It came from a neighbor's tree, which fell after a storm. The wren inspected the hollowed core of the log, two or three times emerging with something.


It nabbed, among other things, a pill bug. (I'm asking around on some of the other items of food it collected.)


- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 1:49:00 PM UTC-6, Jared Del Rosso wrote:
A half hour ago, I took a break from work to inspect the sparrow flock in my yard. (All Chipping...) As I did, a Rock Wren, my first in Arapahoe County, flew into my yard. It took a few conspicuous perches near me -- wood pile, tree stump, neighbor's bird bath -- not seeming to do much else but a few, halfhearted squats. (And it's still there...on the wood pile, standing around.)

This was an especially happy encounter for me. Just a few days ago, when I visited Willow Spring Open Space (which looks good for migrating Rock Wrens), I was wondering when I'd encounter one in the county. Then I read David Suddjian's post about seeing them in east Arapahoe and felt a twinge of jealousy.

Turns out this bird is peppering west Arapahoe County this fall. According to eBird, David saw his first at St. Mary's Church this fall. Ben Sampson added a Rock Wren in his yard a few days ago. And there's a report, from the start of this month, of four at an open space near Denver Tech Center. 

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial< CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/e92758f8-129a-46a0-8395-d2fba7e03372%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment