Monday 29 April 2013

RE: [cobirds] Little Egret @ Belmar Lake/Park!!

Ok – I might regret this. J

 

After my birding-by-bike trip yesterday along the Fountain Creek Regional Trail, wherein I reported 2 Snowy Egrets; I very definitely noted 2 distinct longish plumes (precisely the right length for little egret) on the back of one. The 2nd roosting egret I simply couldn’t make out any details due to position of the bird and my vantage point. This was at the main/big pond (is that called Rice’s Pond; never quite sure) which borders the bike/hiking trail along Fountain Creek. They were approx. 120 yards across the pond from the viewing building – sharing the same area with a black-crowned night-heron. This is not a difficult thing to see with 10x42 Swarovski ELs. The weather was perfect; little wind, no air-swim and good position in full sun.

 

If I am like some folks in Colorado, I have to remind myself each year just what are the distinguishing marks of the white egrets, and perhaps juv little blue herons – as at least each of the possibly expected species are on my radar. The plumes struck me as funny; but by the time I got home hours later and entered my sightings, I had completely forgotten about this field mark that, I repeat, I most definitely saw.

 

I simply forgot about it… well, until now that is. When I just read the report of a Little Egret in my inbox. I had to go look. “Little Egret” I said to myself, “now just what does that look like? And why don’t I know off the top of my head?”. And to my surprise, there are those two distinct long plumes in the field guides.

 

Did anyone else see “white” egrets at Fountain Creek Reg Park yesterday?

 

Other field marks that I could definitely make out were black legs and yellow feet. They clearly stood out on the perched bird in the open on a dead snag. I know this doesn’t help on an ID for Little Egret, I just wanted to point out that I did at least check the things that I knew to look for. That was it, and on my way for more biking and birding.

 

I agree with Nick of course; such a sighting requires more than a casual post on CoBirds. And, unfortunately, more than my reflection upon an albeit very distinct memory, but which is now 30+ hours old. I am surely kicking myself now for not knowing this field mark in advance; or for being more alert to the possibility of such a sighting.

 

Perhaps someone else did sight this white egret at Fountain Creek yesterday or folks get to see and confirm this Little Egret sighting up at Belmar Park. That would go a long way to allowing me to tick that off my list!

 

Jeff J Jones

(jjones@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

 

From: cobirds@googlegroups.com [mailto:cobirds@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Nick Komar
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:37 PM
To: allanavelas@gmail.com; cobirds@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Little Egret @ Belmar Lake/Park!!

 

Before thousands of people storm Belmar Park to see a Little Egret from Europe, can you provide details and explanation why the small white egret was not the more common Snowy Egret? Do you have experience with identifying these species where they are found normally?

 

Thanks,

Nick Komar

Fort Collins CO

 

Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:15 PM

Subject: [cobirds] Little Egret @ Belmar Lake/Park!!

 

We were walking around Belmar Lake/Park and when we stumbled across a Night Heron and in the brush, A LITTLE EGRET! --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/N27NxUJvipgJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment