Tuesday 30 April 2013

RE: [cobirds] Little Egret ID

Excellent ID info from both Ira and Rachel.

 

Let me respond based on what I saw, or did not see in this case.

 

·         At 120 yards, and not expecting anything other than snowy or cattle egret for this size; bill-size did not stand out to me nor do I remember noting anything unusual about it.

·         Also, behavior is probably of no help, as this bird was perched on a snag and intermittently preening; not actively feeding.

·         The bird in question was facing me, so I had no look at the color of the back of the legs. Yellow feet definitely stood out against the black legs; but as to where the yellow started or stopped on the feet would have been hard to tell at that distance with binos.

 

Of course, if Little Egret had been on my radar (especially with the possible significance of 2 plumes) I would have made a much grander effort – or any effort for that matter other than simply dismissing it as a Snowy. Still kicking myself. I am reminded now of an email, years ago, from Tony Leukering – I think – about how all should be on the lookout for those birds not yet reported here, but possible for showing up. He wondered just how many such rare finds have all too often been dismissed as similar-looking commonly-found Colorado birds.

 

I had really expected some news from Belmar Lake this morning. I suppose at least someone went to check this out? Did anyone ever hear back from “DirectionerBirder” that reported this at Belmar?

 

I also think it is reasonable to assume that IF, this is the same bird that I saw at Fountain Creek on Sunday, AND it was seen at Belmar Park on Monday; perhaps folks from Denver and further north should definitely be on the lookout and carefully scrutinizing all white egrets.

 

Thanks to all for chiming in and providing good clues for ID.

 

Jeff J Jones

(jjones@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

 

From: cobirds@googlegroups.com [mailto:cobirds@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Rachel Hopper
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:05 AM
To: cobirds@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [cobirds] Little Egret ID

 

Leg and foot color are the most helpful marks with solid black legs and the absence of yellow stripe running up the back of the tarsus. The yellow on the feet is largely restricted to the toes. In addition the lores are paler than the iris.

 

Here is an excellent article on the separation of Little Egret from Snowy Egret: http://www.oceanwanderers.com/LTEGRT.html

 

Check here for a photograph (taken by me) of the first breeding record of Little Egret in Barbados: http://www.pbase.com/hopko/image/106617954

-------------------

Rachel Hopper

Ft. Collins, CO

 

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment