Tuesday 30 April 2013

RE: [cobirds] Little Egret ID

Hi Norm,

 

Thanks for chiming in. I have no experience with Little Egrets, having never seen one.

 

I do want to ask however about the discussion of back plumes. All I have to go on are the field guides (Natl Geo 6th Ed, Sibley, among others). It seems to me that in reviewing these texts, they make a point (and the pictures show it) that in breeding plumage the 2-3 plumes of the Little Egret far exceed anything we might see on the Snowy at any time of year. And they seem quite distinctive in the drawings. And match precisely my memory of what I saw on Sunday.

 

Is your comment (“Discussion of back plumes is not very helpful”) meant to apply generally or at all times of the year? If one sees these distinctive plumes on a white egret, to the same degree as shown in both of the above mentioned field guides for a breeding Little Egret, is that still not enough to go on? I am just wondering if your comment was meant for times when the plumes were not distinctive and in high-breeding, or if the plumes are truly of no assistance in ID’ng a bird even in this case.

 

I have seen, as I am sure many folks here have, hundreds of Snowy’s over the years, and I don’t think I have ever seen any sporting 2-3 distinctive long plumes; even in high-breeding plumage. Have you (or anyone) ever seen a Snowy Egret with 2-3 very distinct and long plumes? Perhaps this is common and I just don’t know about it.

 

Thanks for educating us.

 

Jeff J Jones

(jjones@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

 

From: cobirds@googlegroups.com [mailto:cobirds@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Norm Erthal
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:31 PM
To: cobirds@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cobirds] Little Egret ID

 

I have seen hundreds of little egrets in several countries. This includes in Trinidad and Tobago where there was one in breeding plumage with snowys present. The id is not readily apparent. Discussion of back plumes is not very helpful. They are not significantly different than on snowy. Black legs and yellow feet are of course no use as this is a primary field mark for snowy. Without a photograph, calling an egret with the field marks mentioned would lead me to say that it is a snowy.

Norm Erthal

Arvada

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/htjZjb0VUowJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment