Friday 10 August 2012

[cobirds] Hummingbird feeding

Since so few are posting to CoBirds I thought that I would share some interesting
tidbits that I have learned this summer.

My house is in East Boulder on the plains near the East Boulder Rec Center.  The
main hummer that I have during the breeding season is Black-chinned.  The past 2 or
3 years a female Black-chin came to my feeder regularly.  This year I saw the male
Black-chin more than the female.

I have pots of 3 different hummingbird flowers on my patio -- Agastache (sunset or licorice mint)
Vermillion Bluff Sage, and Black and Black and Blue Salvia.  Because of the crazy weather this year,
all were in bloom when hummingbird migration started.  I had male adult Calliope for about a week
and was able to see his flower preferences.  He would always start feeding at the Agastache and
then go to the Black and Blue Salvia.  I seldom saw him at the Sage.  The Black-chins would go
to the feeder.  Maybe they were the Black-chins that bred and grew up around here.  I have not
seen ad male Rufous and Broad-tails this summer but the Rufous and Broad-tails that are around
seem to prefer the Vermillion Bluff Sage.  When my flowers are in bloom there is very little
traffic at the feeder.  If a male Rufous is around then he protects the whole patio as his.   My 
speculation as to why the Calliope prefered the Agastache is because the flower is smaller
and fits the Calliope better.  

I have other hummingbird plants scattered around the yard but they are harder to monitor since
I don't have windows on all sides to watch them.  I have a different Agastache in front and hummers
do seem to come to it.  

Joyce Takamine
Boulder

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment