Tuesday, 29 September 2026

[cobirds] Field Sparrow reports

At the risk of rocks being thrown my direction, it seems to me “Field Sparrows” are being over-reported.  Yes, the occasional Field Sparrow can show up almost anywhere in CO, but they are only semi-expected on the far eastern plains.  Lots of young Spizella sparrows are pouring thru at present and Brewer’s Sparrows in particular can have a pinkish beak and conspicuous eyering.  As such, they can look a lot like the western gray race of Field Sparrow, especially young birds.  I have seen several checklists with “multiple” “Field Sparrows” on them that are suspicious.  The beak of Field Sparrow is usually a deeper pink than Brewers.  Field Sparrow eyering is a bit wider and brighter white. Rump of Field Sparrow is gray, that of Brewer’s is brownish-gray.  Photos are always good.  If the bird photographed really is a Field Sparrow, the photo might prove that AND provide valuable information on which subspecies is involved.  I feel for the eBird vetters.

 

No rocks, please, I’m stiff and dodging is more difficult by the day.

 

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment