Sunday, 6 September 2026

[cobirds] COBC report from Winging It in Fremont

COBC report from Winging It in Fremont


One of the reasons I joined CFO is because I truly love birding in different habitats within this beautiful state of ours.  Fremont county did not disappoint.  I was a solo crew –choosing to do the Bird-Your-Own-Way category.  


My morning started in the hills north of Cotopaxi pre-dawn with all of the western mountain jays and hummers and both Dusky (singing) and Gray (dipping) Flycatchers.  I had a baker’s dozen of spots for the COBC, mostly along the Arkansas River, and two spots that I did twice.  Just north of the Vallie Recreation site had a surprise of Evening Grosbeak finding shade with a Red-naped Sapsucker and my only Western Tanager of the day.


By midday, the heat made my favorite warbler stop from 2025 in Swissdale too hot for much of anything but the Rock Wrens representing Troglodytidae for the day,  but all in all, there were lots of great surprises like Williamson’s Sapsucker and my final (and by then most wanted species)–Juniper Titmouse. 


I didn’t think I would come close to the par of 75 because I was in Arkansas River valley (away from the hotspots near Canon City) –but I came in spitting distance with 74 species.  Of course, it’s birding, so I wasn’t surprised to get 5 more species I couldn’t count early the next day, including a gorgeous Northern Goshawk telling me to come on back to Fremont before too long!


Thanks to all my donors and the anonymous donor for doubling the fun!  You can review my eBird trip report here:  https://ebird.org/tripreport/567894


--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/64d76015-ff0e-40ae-b701-89e98567d02fn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment