Saturday 30 May 2015

[cobirds] landbirds at Golden Ponds, Longmont (Boulder) 5/30

Hi Everyone—

 

This morning 5/30 I got up early and walked around Golden Ponds in Longmont. I walked in by the dirt trail. Once I got to the St Vrain, I immediately heard two Red-eyed Vireos singing. It took some patience to see them high up in the cottonwoods. Western Tanagers and Western Wood-Pewees were present, although in numbers lower than I’ve seen in past years by now. There are baby robins out already. I had but one Swainson’s Thrush, and it didn’t vocalize. On my way out, I took the paved trail. I stopped for an Eastern Kingbird and then heard an interesting song behind me. It revealed itself to be a Tennessee Warbler singing the first half of its song (the really sharp chippy part, not the trill at the end). I spent some time watching a Blue Jay pecking open leaf galls to get to the worms inside. The more you look, the more you see.

 

Mark Miller

Longmont, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment