Monday 16 September 2013

[cobirds] 9/16,Flagler SWA,Kit Carson county

I went out to Flagler State Wildlife area late Monday afternoon[next to the town of Flagler]. I did not expect to see the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, but I thought I might see a Flycatcher[which I did not].
 
Well the first hour was dismal in the sense of many birds. The reason was the presence of a beautiful m. Peregrine Falcon, who sat for ages on a post, and in the general area was a Prairie Falcon, who sat on top of a tree. Then  a male Kestrel came into check things out. There was not a migrant bird for at least 1 hour or longer.
 
1, Osprey hung around for a bit over the main pond.
 
When I was ready to say "I'll see nothing now because of the raptors", I found some bird action. In the tall Cottonwoods with Russian Olive as an understory, 1, Cassin's Vireo jumped out. In the Olives was 1, Nashville warbler, and a Yellow Warbler. On the side of the tall Cottonwoods in dead shrubs were 5 immature White-crowned Sparrow and 1, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. 3, Wilson's Warblers dashed in and out of a small Willow. 1, Savannah Sparrow was present also. One male Baltimore Oriole dashed out of a tree, out of sight, into a Cottonwood. Views were quick and the birds were cautious.
 
Many American Robins were feeding on Russian Olive berries.
 
The main Pond had at least 42, Blue-winged Teal, and 8, Northern Shoveler. No Shorebirds
 
Happy Birding,
Tina Jones
Littleton, Jefferson County, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment