Friday 20 July 2012

[cobirds] Green Heron at Fountain Creek Nature Center, El Paso County

This morning I saw a Green Heron on the southern part of Rice's Pond.

The other thing I saw that I had never seen before was a Yellow Warbler feediing insects to  a fledgling Red-winged Blackbird.  I asked Ken Pals about this and he said this was not unusual.  I look at it as an example of compassion in the natural world,  cross species compassion.  Ken says that  it is an instinct that when a bird sees an open mouth he or she will feed it.  The Yellow Warbler in this photo is probably a female. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingbird42/7610417962/


I would be interested hearing from others who have seen other examples of this phenomenon of cross species nurturing.

Gary Koehn
Colorado Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment