Wednesday 18 July 2012

[cobirds] Fwd: Prewett Reservoir



Begin forwarded message:

From: Gary Koehn <garykoehn@gmail.com>
Subject: Prewett Reservoir
Date: July 18, 2012 8:16:09 PM MDT

Enticed by Steve Mloldinow's post about shorebirds at Prewett and Jackson Reservoir, I checked it out this morning.  For me the most interesting sighting was a Golden Eagle sitting at water's edge amongst many shorebirds.  Was he masquerading as a shorebird?  As I dug for my camera he departed.

Most impressive to me were the large numbers of Baird's Sandpipers which were in the hundreds.  Also, I saw a fair number of Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs.  Other birds were Marbled Godwits, Least Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Dowicher species, Wilson's Phalarope, American Avocet, Snowy Egret, Franklin's Gull, White Pelican and Great Blue Heron.

The other thing that impressed me was the lack of water in Prewett Reservoir.  To get a good look at the shorebirds I had to hike a good deal on a dry reservoir bottom.  It was as low as I have ever seen it.  Most of the shorebirds were on the south end near what (was) the inlet.  This should be a good area to see these birds for those of us who don't see many shore birds, landlocked as we are.

I also heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo around said inlet.

Gary Koehn
Colorado Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment