Friday 26 January 2018

[cobirds] Photos of Long-billed Curlew at Two Buttes Res on 1-15-2018 (Baca)

I am now home in Fort Collins with access to my computer.  The attached photos show the curlew seen yesterday at midday on the ice west of the Two Buttes Reservoir dam.  There doesn't seem to be any track record of this species in this part of the country in winter.  One person questioned whether I had considered Far Eastern Curlew.  I saw the Two Buttes bird in flight very briefly and it had decidedly cinnamon-tinted underwings.  So it seems to be a Long-billed Curlew that either is trying to overwinter or is a very early migrant.  Tony Leukering may be able to discern its age.  If so, I will pass his comments along.


Regarding the left photo below, I would sure like to know the contents of that dropping under the bird's tail on the ice.


 

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment