Tuesday 23 January 2018

Re: [cobirds] What do y'all make of this woodpecker?

That is a neat looking bird!  We had one that looked very similar at our house in Superior several years ago, including the fully brown crown.  Aside from the lack of saguaros in our neighborhood, I convinced myself that it was not a Gilded due to the round spots on the "thighs", which in theory would be more oval on a Gilded.  The bird in your pic looks like it has round spots.  Ours didn't obviously have narrow bars on the back and shoulders.  Unfortunately I never saw ours side-by-side with a Northern for size comparison. 

Wasn't there also a Gilded-looking flicker in Ft. Collins for a few years?  Maybe they do disperse up this way sometimes.  Or maybe Gilded-Northern hybrids provide a means of gene dispersal.

Peter Ruprecht
Superior

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 1:53:18 PM MST, Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57@hotmail.com> wrote:



Hey, folks. Check out this woodpecker, which I photographed yesterday, Mon., Jan. 22, at the Lake Park Open Space, Boulder County:



If this photo were from, oh I dunno, Yuma, Arizona, or somewhere, wouldn't we call this a male Gilded Flicker? It's got the all-brown crown, the extensive black tail tips, the big black oval on the breast, the pale back, and of course the telltale red malar and bright yellow in the wing and tail. I well realize that we're not in Yuma. But, other than the probabilistic argument, can anybody talk me away from the ledge of calling this a Gilded Flicker?

Sorry, I have no other photos. When I was in the field, I assumed I was looking at a Red-shafted x Yellow-shafted. I will say that two impressions struck me at the time: (1) the truly yellow hues to the wings and tail; (2) a sweetness and wimpiness about the whirrr flushing call.


Also of interest at the Lake Park Open Space was a flock of 10 Steller's Jays. This is the same place that for several years was the easternmost outpost in Boulder County for Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay.


Ted Floyd

Lafayette, Boulder County

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5ab6af7f-132d-46d6-b5a1-ef817198447e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment