Thursday 7 September 2017

[cobirds] Black-bellied Plover (not Pacific Golden-Plover) - Larimer

My post yesterday about a Pacific Golden-Plover at Bartels Reservoir in Larimer County was, predictably, posted in haste and in error. My thanks to those of you who replied publicly and privately with ID tips on Pluvialis plovers, with which I have very little experience. I thought I should re-post here as a thank you, and since Black-bellied Plover is rare enough to merit a COBIRDS post.

This served as a good reminder to me of some smart birding advice. 1) Consider all the clues and not just plumage - some of you noted posture, bill shape/size, and overall shape/size. 2) Look at multiple field guides. I still feel that none of the 3 field guides I looked at really captured the look of the bird I saw, but looking at 3 instead of just Sibley's (which I had in the field) brought me around to BBPL even before your replies starting trickling in. 3) The collective wisdom of the COBIRDS community vastly exceeds what is captured in any field guide.

Credit goes to another birder, Lori Pivonka, for finding and correctly identifying (on eBird) this Black-bellied Plover.

Thanks,  

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/975223c2-903a-4aad-aa0f-3ea8cc08f151%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment