Sunday 27 August 2017

[cobirds] Ordway to Last Chance (Crowley/Washington) 8/27

Hi Everyone,

 

For starters, I forgot to include Great Crested Flycatcher as a highlight from the LCC woods yesterday (strangely enough, my first in Colorado). My birding companions were Beth Payne and Linda Hodges.

 

This morning 8/27 I drove highway 71 from Rocky Ford up to Last Chance. On Beth’s suggestion, I stopped at the ponds along CR G east of Ordway. Shorebirds included avocets, Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Baird’s Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper (four of them), Long-billed Dowitcher, and Wilson’s Phalarope. Lake Meredith is full of water with no shoreline to speak of, but the place is full of Aechmophorus grebes, both Western and Clark’s. Lots of half-grown youngsters out there. I noted a flock of 110 Cattle Egrets just south of Ordway (not sure which county I was in, but probably Crowley). At Last Chance, I saw a Northern Waterthrush at the southern pond (running along a downed tree trunk) and a young American Redstart in the windbreak behind the old hotel. A young Great Horned Owl was flying around and landed in the windbreak. It sat there for a while, screeching away.

 

Mark Miller

Longmont, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment