Thursday 25 May 2017

[cobirds] N Waterthrush, Virginia's Warb, CSR, El Paso Co, Thurs

Hey COBirders,

VERY slow this morning.  Hot, clear, windy, and almost no migrants caught today at Clear Spring Ranch banding.  The majority of birds seen today were probably local breeders, and I recaptured several from previous breeding seasons.

First bird caught at 6:45 this morning was a second-year female Virginia's Warbler. Last bird caught at 10:30 was a Northern Waterthrush (#8 for the season, also second-year, sex unknown).

Interestingly, the Oriole arrival continues. In the last three days I've banded 19 Bullock's Orioles, 75% males, and 5 Orchard Orioles, all males (and gorgeous).  At one point I had 11 orioles in one net at the same time. Nothing like that today, but a single of each species was caught today. Previous seasons I have a total of ONE OROR (f), and 8-9 BUOR (5 from one family group in August), so this is quite different.

If this trend of very few migrants, and mostly breeders continues, I'll probably shut-down for the season soon. I don't like bothering nesting birds. Life is tough enough!

Good birding,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

No comments:

Post a Comment