Saturday 27 May 2017

[cobirds] MacGillivray's Warbler, Others - west Arapahoe Co

This morning, I spent an hour or so watching birds around my west Arapahoe Co. yard, near deKoevend Park in Centennial. It was a rather busy morning. I watched a female Black-headed Grosbeak attack my elm leaves. Last year, these leaves were filled with Elm Leafminer larvae (thanks to Dave Leatherman for confirming that). I haven't inspected them this year, but the leaves are brown-edged and, no doubt, filled with something. The grosbeak was only the latest to chomp away at the leaves. Black-capped Chickadees, House Sparrows, House Finches, Western Tanagers, and a Wilson's, MacGillivray's, & Yellow Warbler have all done the same.

A Swainson's Thrush, my first in the yard this year, also spent time in the elms. Later in the day, I had good looks of it foraging on the ground under my feeders.

I heard and spotted a singing Yellow Warbler. Perhaps this male is a pair with the female that has been around my yard this week. I also heard one or two singing Western Tanagers and a singing Bullock's Oriole.

A male MacGillivray's Warbler made a very brief visit in my yard, before flying east up my street into neighbors' yards. I believe I heard it singing, along with the Yellow Warbler, after it departed. This was my first sighting of a MacGillivray's Warbler in my yard since 5/23. This or another male MacGillivray's Warbler's first arrived in my yard this year on 5/8.

After taking in all the morning activity, I did a final walk around my yard and spotted an Olive-sided Flycatcher (a new yard bird), which made a brief visit to my neighborhood, flycatching from a high perch.

Still waiting on my first flyover of nighthawks for the year. And bats.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c7768644-0a6f-4f03-b89e-98118f401f77%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment