Sunday 28 May 2017

[cobirds] did not jinx myself: yardbird 109 in Bldr Cnty: N. Mockingbird

Hi folks--

Wrote yesterday that the delightful evening serenade of the Swainson's thrush was not #109 after all; but then this morning while my spouse & I weeded and tended the bees, I heard a very unusual song from the hilltop nearby (where I often hear good birds: last year it was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak).

After sifting through my memory files of the mimids, I decided emphatically that it was a Mockingbird, and one of the braver sort that usually sings loudly at all hours back East. Most of the ones I find here are timid mimids... This one was belting out its repertoire for about an hour.

If I hear it in the morning, I'll notify you more quickly so some can get a County bird.

As for the ongoing saga of the Say's phoebes, they continue to disappear most of the day, showing up sporadically to decorate their dummy ledge nests with choice bits from the basket of options I keep out for them on a shepherd's hook. I still have no clue where their real nest is... or if they are just not sure they want to have kids.

Linda



Linda Andes-Georges
Boulder County (W of Lagerman, N of Haystack, E of Table Mtn)
[Jean-Pierre says: W of Paris, S of Quebec, E of Tahiti]
8417 Stirrup Ln
Longmont CO 80503
Tel. 720 668 5214




No comments:

Post a Comment