Saturday 27 February 2016

[cobirds] gulls in Weld/Larimer and Ft Collins Yellow-throated Warbler 2/27

Hi everyone,

 

I wandered back roads today 2/27 looking for ponds with gulls. From Longmont, I took WCR 5 north. I stopped at Highland Lake. The gulls are still working on the marooned fish there, and I found an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull loafing on shore. It flew away to the north around 7:40 this morning. Boyd Lake has lots of gulls, but they are at the edge of the ice at the south end, and the heat shimmer made identification infeasible. At the east end of Engelman Street in Loveland, a goodly pile of gulls were loafing at the shore of Horseshoe Lake, and 15 Bald Eagles were standing around on the ice. An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was off by itself. I didn’t happen to see any Great Black-backed Gulls, but there are a lot of lakes I didn’t get to. My travels also took me to Mountain View Avenue in Fort Collins, where the Yellow-throated Warbler came in for seed and suet just before 9 am and stayed around for about 10 minutes. Grandview Cemetery had a noisy immature Cooper’s Hawk, a Red-breasted Nuthatch, and a few Pine Siskins but was generally quiet.

 

Mark Miller

Longmont, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment