Thursday 25 February 2016

[cobirds] Gulls and Eagles Highland Lake, Weld.

Just before sundown today, I counted 8 mature Bald Eagles and hundreds upon hundreds of gulls on and around Highland Lake. I don’t know my gulls at all, so can’t tell you what they are. I haven’t seen any juvenile Eagles either, all mature. The eagles and gulls have been hanging around now for over a week. Each day, more arrive.

 

The lake has been drained to its lowest in the 30 years I’ve lived here. The Highlandlake Reservoir Company drained it so they can do repairs on the dike and the outlet. Since the lake is also spring fed, there is  still some water, but it is very shallow. Fish are dying from lack of oxygen and the birds are having a feeding frenzy.

 

Highland Lake is located at the intersection of WCR 5 and WCR 34 ¾. It is a privately owned lake, but it is open to the public, especially for bird watching.

 

Pauli Smith

(Highlandlake/Mead, Weld, CO)

No comments:

Post a Comment