Tuesday 30 December 2014

Re: [cobirds] Question about raptors and Collared Doves

Dave and all, 

I have a fair number of Eurasian Collared-Doves in my Pueblo West yard, and also see some (not nearly enough) piles of feathers. I've seen them actually being eaten in my yard and the neighbor's by Cooper's Hawks and once by a Merlin. Once I surprised a Sharp-shinned Hawk with one when I went out the front door; the hawk went right and the dove went left. I was surprised at this as they were pretty much the same size. I thought it was pretty ambitious of the Sharpie.  I expect Red-tailed Hawks, Northern Harriers, and Great Horned Owls, all of which frequent this area, get a few as well, although I haven't actually seen them in the act. 

My neighbor is a dove hunter and shoots all three species that are found here; he says they all taste the same.

Margie Joy
Pueblo West, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment