Sunday 28 December 2014

[cobirds] 4 falcon commute, and some snowy yard birds (Jefferson)

Driving to work this afternoon (Dec 28) on C470 I passed a Merlin near Ken Caryl Ave, an American Kestrel flew over near Kipling, a Prairie Falcon was perched on a pole near Wadsworth, and a juv. Peregrine Falcon flew over near South Platte Reservoir! Maybe if I kept going I'd have added a Gyr, but I exited at Santa Fe and now I'll never know.

The snowfall on Dec 26 made for very birdy conditions around my home at Ken Caryl Valley. A Red Fox Sparrow joined others at my front yard feeding station, seen with a Harris's Sparrow. A Lesser Goldfinch was notable for winter. Cassin's Finches were fairly numerous, with 16 as a high count for me. The most exciting was an adult Northern Goshawk that was haunting the neighborhood, perching nicely for a little while, and otherwise seen flying over. I did not see these rarer birds on Dec 27, but an Evening Grosbeak flew over.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RopCfcaFRGAJV5bZKFjERMqpWU1wGdxXsWP4Ya0EEbGppw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment