Wednesday 24 December 2014

[cobirds] Fwd: Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch flock in Westcliffe & Brown-capped too




Yesterday I drove up to Westcliffe in hopes that the snow in that area the day before had held the flock of Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches that Jane Pederson was nice enough to note in her CBC report from Sunday.   I was delighted to find more than a hundred Rosy-Finches at the St. Andrew Golf Course just out of Westcliffe, a real treat as I have not seen any for some years.  I got a lot of good photos of them that I have uploaded them to my Birds and Nature blog.

I thought I saw one or more Brown-capped Rosy-Finches in that constantly moving flock.  Fortunately I got one reasonably good and a second less good photo of a Rosy-Finch that I believe is a female.  It does not show any pink but Birds of North America online states that the females may have little or no pink in their plumage.  I have also uploaded those photos for *constructive* comment by those who have more experience in separating these similar species.

I was surprised to find only one Red-tailed Hawk in a short raptor tour I took around Westcliffe and not one Rough-legged Hawk--I don't remember ever going there in the winter without seeing multiple birds of this wintering species.  I was pleased to see good numbers and largish flocks of magpies--southern Colorado really saw numbers plummet when West Nile virus hit some years ago and they have been slow in recovery.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckrfNMx9pnVShsvyWZ_e6axN7VT%2B31eFRNwGLWnZBNNvLw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment