Monday 29 December 2014

[cobirds] Pueblo Reservoir 12/28 (before the snow)

Hi all,

I had until 9:15am this morning to scope Pueblo Reservoir, before the snow and fog hit.

I was mainly hoping the Yellow-billed Loon was out there, though I couldn't find it, if it is.

I did find three new birds that I haven't seen around here of late.

A Red-throated Loon, male Long-tailed Duck, and a female type White-winged Scoter.  The loon and duck were off Sailboard launching area looking south, and the scoter was off North Picnic Road, looking east.
 
Other things, an adult Mew Gull swimming close to shore and four Common Loons off Sailboard launching area; four or so Lesser Black-backed Gulls swimming around the lake, with other gulls; and 25 or so Bonaparte's Gulls continue off West Fishing Road and westward.  There a lot more goldeneyes and mergansers, other ducks, and gulls on the reservoir now.  The ice was forming in the SWA on NW Side of Pueblo Reservoir.  I'm guessing the ice line will be much further to the east of here, by the 1st.

The snow is coming down hard now in Pueblo West, and I expect it will be hard to see anything on Pueblo Reservoir for a few days.  It will be interesting to see what all is around on Jan 1st.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment